Course Reflection
We are using a favorite tool of reflection in the ETEC (at least as far as I have noticed anyway) called I used to think...now I think... I like this tool because the stucture is simple, yet the process of completing the sentence stems can yield some pretty deep introspection.
So, without further adieu...
I used to think that there are some problems that are
too big to tackle on my own AND that it wasn't important to have a clear
objective, since the goals would be enough
I now think that those big problems may not be so big. I originally set out trying to solve the sweeping problem of motivation and engagement. That's one of those, "if you figure out the answer, you can retire and make a boatload of money" type of problems. I still don't know if I can get at the root of a problem this big, but I think I can at least alleviate the problem temporarily. I also now think that objectives give you focus and an index by which to measure your efforts and the success of students. I had to go back and rework my objective in my design document and blog post. When I did, I found that I had a better idea of what I wanted out of my students in using this project. I know myself well enough to know that if I have a really good idea of how an assignment is supposed to look, I will be more successful in giving my students a clear understanding of how their final product should look (generally speaking).
I now think that those big problems may not be so big. I originally set out trying to solve the sweeping problem of motivation and engagement. That's one of those, "if you figure out the answer, you can retire and make a boatload of money" type of problems. I still don't know if I can get at the root of a problem this big, but I think I can at least alleviate the problem temporarily. I also now think that objectives give you focus and an index by which to measure your efforts and the success of students. I had to go back and rework my objective in my design document and blog post. When I did, I found that I had a better idea of what I wanted out of my students in using this project. I know myself well enough to know that if I have a really good idea of how an assignment is supposed to look, I will be more successful in giving my students a clear understanding of how their final product should look (generally speaking).
That does it for ETEC 578 - Instructional Design
and Development, Spring 2017. I hope you'll join me in the future, where I'm sure we will get
to continue our time together.
Ciao!

No comments:
Post a Comment