Saturday, February 11, 2017

eJournal entry 4 - Analyzing Instructional Goals



For a number of reasons, I had to circle back around to this post and make a few changes to this week's post; the most important reason being I am not good at writing objectives.  Based on the number of sites out there for objective writing, I can conclude that I am not alone.

In my original post, I stated my objectives were that:

students research real population data on a chosen country, analyze the data to determine socioeconomic status and future population trends, and predict the consequences of those trends if they were to continue.  Then, using prior knowledge from other parts of the unit, develop a population management strategy that addresses the trends predicted that would fit within the country's cultural climate.  Students then present their research and plan in a multimedia presentation to the class.  The students have an opportunity to ask questions, make comments, and discuss collaboratively with the presenters on their plan before making final evaluations.
That is a lot of really great information, but I think it is two broad.  Those would probably all fit under the category of goals.  Objectives are more focused and, most importantly, measurable.  I have learned a little bit more about objectives vs. goals, so I'm going to take another stab at my objectives. Here goes...

Using prior knowledge of population demographics, students will create and present a population management plan that addresses trends identified from an analysis of population data from a country of their choosing.  

The Audience is the students.  The Behavior is to create and present a population management plan.  The Condition is using prior knowledge of population demographics and the Degree is from an analysis of population data from a country of their choosing.  It is implied (at least, I hope it is) that the plan the students develop has to come from and be supported by the data they collect.  The objective is meant to address the cognitive domain.


The original post is after the break.



This week marks the due date for the first draft of our Instructional Design Document.  This is a big day so let's let that sink in...




Alright, break's over!  This week's post called for the development of learning goals and the types of learning required.  The ID Document I will be submitting this semester revolves around something called the "Population Planning Activity" in which students research real population data on a chosen country, analyze the data to determine socioeconomic status and future population trends, and predict the consequences of those trends if they were to continue.  Then, using prior knowledge from other parts of the unit, develop a population management strategy that addresses the trends predicted that would fit within the country's cultural climate.  Students then present their research and plan in a multimedia presentation to the class.  The students have an opportunity to ask questions, make comments, and discuss collaboratively with the presenters on their plan before making final evaluations.  I guess those would be the learning objectives and they fit within the TEKS, specifically 112.37.7D:
The student knows the relationship between carrying capacity and changes in populations and ecosystems. The student is expected to analyze and make predictions about the impact on populations of geographic locales due to diseases, birth and death rates, urbanization, and natural events such as migration and seasonal changes.
This fits into the overall goal of the class, which is to analyze the working elements of the environment around us, analyze the ways that humans affect those elements, and explore and develop methods to mitigate the negative consequences of human, while still meeting the human demands.  The activity also fits into my own personal goal of helping my students become thoughtful, critically thinking members of global society.

I've attached a copy of my Instructional Design Document for your viewing pleasure you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment