![]() |
| Example Diagram of Logic Model |
A few years ago, I used the logic model in a Scientific Research and Design course I taught using epidemiology as the main theme. In a nutshell, the course uses the epidemiology concepts to teach students how to critically evaluate information and conduct investigations scientifically. Students investigate an issue on their campus (ex: adolescent obesity), gather data from the student population, report their findings, and develop an intervention plan. Then they present everything to a panel of peers, teachers, admins, and members of the public. The evaluative piece comes from the constant reflection and revision of their plans as they determine their inputs, outputs, and outcomes. The outcome section is in itself an evaluative step because the students were forced to create measurable goals for their intervention plan.
In my scarce resource scenario, I have been tasked with implementing a one-to-one iPad initiative to create a paperless classroom, incorporating Google Apps for Education and other apps as needed (Evernote and Notability, for example). Assuming I have a role similar to a district technology integration specialist/instructional coach, I would include the campus technologist on my campus for troubleshooting and technical support, at least 3 teachers as pilot classrooms to actually implement the new program and gather data, and the cohort or departmental administrator (or the one most likely to go along with this crazy scheme) for administrative support (unless I am granted that authority). I would be serving as facilitator, go-between, and curriculum resource to help the teachers. The main criteria I would use to select teachers would be a willingness to participate fully in this program; actual experience implementing this sort of program would be necessary and part of the professional development would include how to use the iPads and programs in the classroom setting. The same goes with the administrator. That would put me somewhere around phase 1 of situational leadership until the team gets more comfortable working together (phase 2). Hopefully, as the teachers gain mastery of the program and the students start generating evidence of success (phase 3ish), my role can shift into phase 4 and allow me to showcase the results in order to expand the program (include more teachers, search for and receive more funding, etc.)
image credit: Logic Models: A Tool for Program Planning and Assessment http://articles.extension.org/pages/70478/logic-models:-a-tool-for-program-planning-and-assessment

The logic model looks like a great tool to use for evaluation. The different steps seem thorough and easy to follow. I had never heard of the logic model but, will definitely take note of it for the future.
ReplyDeleteNicely done.
ReplyDelete