Thursday, September 29, 2016
Section 5: Trends & Issues Various Settings
For this first part of
this week we need needed to compare and contrast the trends and issues of two
contexts. From business, military,
medical education, K-12 education, and post-secondary education, I chose
medical education and K-12. I chose
these because (1) I am educator in a public school and (2) medical education is
closest to using the teaching methodology that I am most interested in
implementing in my own classroom: problem-based learning. Both contexts recognize the benefits of
problem-based learning in order to develop and enhance problem solving skills
necessary in the real world and increasing retention of basic content knowledge
by making the process more authentic.
Medical education and public education both have proponents that support
the use of informational technology in pursuit of these goals and actively try
to integrate these resources into their respective programs. Both have recognized that PBL increases
student satisfaction in the learning process.
The differ in their degree of adoption and integration of instructional
technology. The author of chapter 20
admits that there is much more pressure placed on medical professionals, so research
into best teaching practices is ongoing and new data tends to be widely adopted
quickly. For example, initial research
on PBL in medical education began in the 60’s and was adopted nationwide by the
80’s. Most medical schools new employ
real world clinical case studies and simulated patients that mimic real
patients. In public education, PBL has
seen slower integration. Many programs
still rely on “traditional” teaching strategies: teacher lectures, student
takes notes. (Though, elementary
programs, especially EC and kinder programs seem to have more widely implemented
inquiry-based methods. Inquiry-based
learning is fundamentally similar to PBL).
Both articles cite research that suggest that technology integration can
lead to increases in best practice activities and student satisfaction with
learning. The medical education article,
for me, sets a goal to reach in my classroom.
Medical educators set the “gold standard” for how technology can be used
effectively in the classroom and the gains that can be had.
For the second part of this
week’s post, I chose chapter 23, Developing Learning to Meet Complex Challenges
for an Undivided World, about a theoretical physicist-turned-instructional
designer in sub-Saharan Africa. I
learned that learning can take place anywhere, as long as you have motivation
to teach, motivation to learn, and imagination to use what you have
available. The students discussed in
this chapter did not have computers to pine after or the newest probeware to
complain about not having. Many of those
schools did not even have electricity, but the best schools had teachers that
wanted to do the best they could for their students. I think keeping that in mind will help to
overcome most any challenge that I would face as an educator. Unfortunately, I don’t think that the state
of our education system is such that our students would have the skills to
interact with students from other cultures and regions without pissing people
off. We have, in some cases, tremendous access
to technology for classroom use, but we don’t use it to the fullest extent
possible. I consider myself and the
forefront of using technology at my school but there is so much more that I can
do. The biggest thing I can do is explore
the different ways to use technology to connect with other regions and cultures
in a meaningful way. In preparing myself
for these experiences, I can better prepare my students to get the most out of
connecting with other people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you are right about about the state of our education system. Unfortunately our day to day experiences in the classroom show us a reality that clashes with the ideal world of education. Preparing yourself sounds good, but also modeling how we treat each other. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how other cultures treat each other and how they treat others of different cultures?
ReplyDeleteChapter 23 looks really interesting. I agree with you that if we want to be the best teachers, we don't have to have the newest and best technology. But, since we do have access to some great technology, we need to use it in the best way possible.
ReplyDeleteExcellent post.
ReplyDelete