Saturday, January 28, 2017

eJournal Entry 2 - Contextual Analysis

Last week, I chose a problem to address in the Instructional Design Document that I will be creating over the coming weeks.  I think that student engagement is still a significant problem in my school and with my students.  However, in reflecting on my post and comments from various sources since then, I have determined that a “simple” fix that could be proposed by my design document for this course will not be enough.  Not that I don’t still want to fix the problem, mind you.  I’m not giving up.   However, the problem as I see it runs much deeper than what is going on in my classroom.  There is a problem with motivation and engagement, especially the reasons why students should be learning, in all ability levels at Seguin High School.  From what I understand, it extends beyond the high school into the middle and elementary schools and out into the community.  A major systemic shift would have to take place at all levels in order to effect significant improvement (a shift that I would be a small part of). 

So, in the spirit of not getting lost in a problem that is too big, I am going to redirect my focus to something more manageable.  One of the things that the administration at my campus is trying to do is integrate blended learning practices into more classrooms.  The science teachers have been using a variation on the flipped classroom model for 3 years (this is the 3rd year) and other teachers are getting on board.  One of my professional goals is to become a campus or district technology integration specialist and work with teachers full-time (or as close to it as possible) on developing lessons and curricula that allows teachers and students to use technology in the most effective way possible.  I don’t know if such a position exists for me in the way I am envisioning it but I would like to at least become a teacher-leader with regards to using technology in the classroom.  I am going to use this project as a stepping stone to that goal.  Along the way, to address student engagement, I am going to be actively using those tools and strategies that research suggests work in raising student engagement.  I will be using a blended-learning approach to the technology in my classroom, with elements of problem-based learning thrown in. 

Image courtesy of Seguin High School Website

Now…on to the context analysis.  Seguin High School is the only high school in Seguin ISD, a school district of just over 7000 students.  The student population is predominantly Hispanic (63.7%), with 53.5% considered economically disadvantaged.  Seguin High School had a graduation rate of 97.6% for the 2014-2015 school year.  A new high school will be opening August 2017, bring with it much needed facility, equipment, and technology infrastructure upgrades with it.  Most of the teachers are classified as white (76%) which may or may not conflict with student demographics are far as instruction is concerned.  I know that a criticism of television, movies, sports, etc is the lack of role models from different backgrounds (women, African American, Hispanic, etc) and the difference in the demographics of the teachers compared to the students may be an environmental factor.  Most students have their own personal devices.  The school has 4 computer carts with 30 computers each, an iPad cart with 25 units, and 4 computer labs with 25 computers each.  Because the science classrooms have been flipping, they have an additional 9-10 computers per classroom.  There are projectors mounted in every classroom, with teacher computer stations.  The potential for technology use is there.  The next step is getting students used to technology beyond Facebook, Candy Crush, and Instagram. 

Murphy, R., & Daniel, A. (2015, December 08). Seguin High School - Seguin ISD (Public Schools). Retrieved January 28, 2017, from https://schools.texastribune.org/districts/seguin-isd/seguin-high-school/

No comments:

Post a Comment